Did you know that daily tasks such as cooking or running your gas-fueled furnace can erode your indoor air quality? The problem stems from a variety of combustion pollutants that are introduced into your Locust Grove, GA home’s air. Many of these pollutants are invisible and odorless. Unfortunately, this makes it even more difficult to keep your family safe.

Carbon Monoxide is Highly Dangerous

Carbon monoxide can make your indoor air deadly. If there’s a problem with your furnace, this highly toxic substance might leak into the air. Other sources of carbon monoxide poisoning can include chimneys, gas stoves, and generators. This problem is so serious that Georgia passed a law in 2009 making it mandatory to add carbon monoxide detectors to all newly constructed homes.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is marked by six primary symptoms:

  • Shortness of Breath
  • Nausea
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Collapsing
  • Loss of Consciousness

Particulate Matter Issues Are Common

Cooking, heating water, and even certain types of lighting can increase the presence of dangerous particulate matter in your home. Fine particles such as sulfate, black carbon, and nitrates may pass into the human bloodstream. Affected individuals have a higher risk of developing serious health problems. These issues include cardiovascular disease and lung cancer.

Poor particulate conditions can cause several temporary symptoms:

  • Eye, Nose, and Throat Irritation
  • Phlegm
  • Coughing
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Wheezing

Methane Exposure Can be Poisonous

Methane can enter your home in a variety of ways. For example, foundation cracks and sewer traps provide an easy access point for naturally occurring methane gas. Additionally, methane can be released into the air via open fires, rotting food, compost piles, and wick lamps. The most common symptoms of methane exposure are vomiting and nausea.

Are you concerned about combustion pollutants in your home? Visit our indoor air quality and furnace repair pages to learn how we can help or call (770) 988-5644.

Pin It on Pinterest